Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Ice Storm


Skeleton Mans weather effect


Let me tell you about the time that I was in an ice storm. I use to live in Garrard County. It was the winter of 2009. I was seven, and snow was on the ground, like someone had spread a white blanket over the land. I was playing my Xbox when my mom said, “Get off and turn on the news.”

I jumped off the couch and raced over to the TV. We watched the news.

“Get in the car,” my mom gasped.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“They’re saying there’s going to be an ice storm!”

We slipped and slid on the frozen road. At first (because I was 7) I didn’t even know what an ice storm was. Mom explained that sometimes during an ice storm people can get stuck in their house, and so we needed to go to the grocery store. We had to get supplies because we didn’t know how long the ice storm was going to last. So I ended up completely confused.

How can you get stuck in your house?

We got back home with so much food we could hardly get the pantry door shut.

What are we going to do with all this food, I thought?

The first of the ice storm we were the only family in the neighborhood. Everyone else left. So I brought a blanket down stairs and started playing Xbox.

I had a good night sleep, but when I woke up the power was out! Darkness filled the house as if there was a storm inside. I woke everyone and told them the power was out. I turned on my radio (battery powered) we were all in living room. After ten minutes of waiting, the weather finally came on.

You won’t believe what happened next ... the weatherman said that it was almost 20 degrees below zero. Chills ran up my spine as I listened to the horrible news.

“Great, just great. You have to be kidding me. How can things get any worse?” I said.

“Well we could be in a house with no power, and almost -20 with no food,” said my sister.

“Ha Ha, your funny,” I said.

On the third day, I went upstairs in my room and my sisters were stealing my money!

“What are you doing with my money?!” I screamed.

“Mom told us to get the quarters and dollars so we can wash clothes at the laundry matt,” they said.

“Guys the laundry matt is ten miles away,” I said.

“No there’s one in Lexington,” they said.

Great. I’m losing the hundred bucks (I really only had five bucks, but hey, remember, I was seven) that I worked hard on, I thought.

At the laundry mat we got about ½ the laundry done, and it turned out that we can’t get change from the cashier for some reason. My mom and I went to the bank across the street. On our way back there was a patch of ice that we didn’t see and well. BAM!!! Mom and I were on my back. We slipped on the ice.

“Let’s do that again!” I said, for some reason as I helped my mom up.

“No,” she said, “We are NOT doing that again!”

When we got home the lights where on.

“How?” I questioned.

“Dad got a generator!” screamed my sister in joy.

The next morning I got out of bed and looked at my clock. It was 12:30. I yawed, and went down stairs, and ate some toast. I looked outside and froze.
“My tree?!” I screamed in horror.

The tree that I climbed since I was four was covered in ice, and nearly an inch from falling on the house! I told my dad.

“Whoa!!!”He said, looking out the window. “Let me get the chainsaw.”

“Dad, I’ve climbed this tree since I was four; you can’t cut it down.” I pleaded. At least it didn’t fall over. I was happy when he didn’t cut it down.

On the last day the ice finally melted, and we got our power back. The cool thing was we got in the newspaper. I don’t know how it happened, but we got in there for staying home. I didn’t really care. I was just happy I didn’t freeze to death.

1 comment: